Tormek Sharpening System

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 06:29:28 -0400

Hi Dave.

I bought my system from Sharptools USA. The link below is their home =
page. It has several videos that you can watch on your computer that =
show the basic setup.
http://sharptoolsusa.com/ . It's got a big burly shop-looking guy doing =
the video, so you know it must be a good tool.

I purchased the Cabinetmaker package at $589.
http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/shop/?page=3Dshop/flypage&product_id=3D25&ca=
tegory_id=3D93d2623b12869878624c573f5722b86f

This package includes the planer blade jig and the other standard =
accessories that are an absolute must (diamond stone grader, honing =
compound, anglemaster and the stone grader). I contemplated getting the =
complete package (all available jigs) for $800, but I don't use any =
curved carving tools, and the few other jigs I may want in the future =
don't total up to that price - so I'll just add them as I determine they =
are needed.

The big stone sharpens at two grit levels - 220 and about 1,000 =
(depending on a 30-second preparation). Then the honing wheel does the =
rest - brings it up to an amazingly sharp edge - and very quickly.=20

My Shapton stones work VERY well - very impressed with their performance =
and the results with them - =
http://www.shaptonstones.com/stones/Professional-Series.php . But unless =
you can sharpen by hand well, you need to use a honing guide. That works =
great if you need to start with 220 grit. If you want to just go back =
and touchup - it just won't work because you can never get the blade =
back into the honing guide in the exact same position as the last time =
you sharpened. With the Tormek, the blade is indexed for being =
perpendicular to the stone - so that part of realignment is automatic. =
You still need to get the angle right, but that is easy as you just =
clamp the blade into one of many various holder-jigs, coarsely adjust =
the jig height for approximate blade angle, then blacken the edge with a =
marker and touch it to the moving stone (or honing wheel) for just a =
second - that shows you clearly what the relationship is between the =
stone and the blade. If you need to adjust, there is a fine screw-type =
adjustment for jig height with which you can incrementally and very =
quickly adjust the blade angle for the optimal result.=20

When touching up you can go back to just the honing wheel in this =
manner, or the 1,000/220 grit stone. Even if you do go back to the 220 =
grit for perhaps a little nick, as long as you don't have to remove =
1/4-inch of steel, you can get your average chisel razor-polished sharp =
in five minutes or less. Hey - even I can do it, so you know it is easy =
and fool-proof! Tormek system - the apparent answer for the =
hand-sharpening-challenged. And even if you can sharpen by hand, it's =
still a great way to sharpen - although, if you do have that skill, =
there are other good ways to sharpen (and I highly recommend the Shapton =
Professional Series stones - Steve Knight, the guy who made my planes =
recommended them to me - http://www.knight-toolworks.com/wooden.htm).

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20