RC vs CC again

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:44:16 -0400

At 10:16 PM -0700 10/1/03, David Love wrote:
>Is the CC board stiffer when both are fully loaded?  What you suggest is
>that the CC board would have better sustain and the RC board would be
>louder.

That's a gross over-simplification from someone known to have a
reading comprehension disability. The real answer is probably buried
in some obscure paragraph in all these many threads.

At 10:37 PM -0700 10/1/03, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>Again, with rib-crowning technology the soundboard maker has a few more
>options.

At least, he didn't make *me* repeat after him, "The ribs used with a
rib-crowned soundboard system
can be made as stiff......." <g> I like this idea of flexibility in
design with an RC board. In CC assembly, the design must first allow
the board to pull the ribs up into a crown (if nothing else), and
that requirement allows little leeway in the design.

The other thing which fades in and out of the discussion is that the
EMC at assembly time determines the ceiling of RH which the piano can
comfortably live under without suffering compression damage.
Certainly there are many pianos with CC boards, living in situations
over the decades where they're never driven through this ceiling by
seasonal humidity maximums. There are also Climate Control systems
which rein in this annual roller coaster. But there are also many
situations in which RH rises to levels which will damage a CC board,
but not an RC board (with its higher assembly EMC).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.