Fw: RC vs CC again

Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:07:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Richard Brekne=20
To: Pianotech=20
Sent: October 02, 2003 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: RC vs CC again

 =20
Delwin D Fandrich wrote:=20

  =20

  Grin... now THATS what I'm talking about !!...  Seriously tho... this =
is easy enough to follow. Do you have a similiar formula for how much =
stiffness the assembly takes on for panel compression ?..  =20

I do not know of any way to predict the panel stiffness of a =
compression-crowned soundboard system. Even if a formula were developed =
I suspect the many variables would degrade accuracy to the point of =
uselessness.

  And.... well.. you could always increase height of the ribs in a CC =
board as well... but then... that wouldnt make much difference given =
that the ribs dont do a lot to support the pannel.=20

Well, think about this a bit. What would be the effect of a tall rib? Of =
course it would make a difference. It would limit the development of =
crown and further increase the amount of compression within the panel.

  So.. what.... the ribs function in a CC board is primarilly to force =
the panel into compression ?? Why the choice of fat and not so high =
instead of lots of height... or something else... what determines your =
choice of rib dimensions in a CC board ?=20

Since I no longer do them I don't have to make that choice.=20

As to why they are wider than they are tall (and I've now written this =
so often my fingers can find their own way around the keyboard with no =
further input from my brain -- so repeat after me....)

THE RIBS IN A COMPRESSION-CROWNED SOUNDBOARD SYSTEM HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE =
ENOUGH TO BEND IN RESPONSE TO THE STRESS INTERFACE BUILT UP BETWEEN THE =
EXPANDING SOUNDBOARD PANEL AND THE RIBS. THIS IS HOW CROWN IS FORMED IN =
THE COMPRESSION-CROWNED SOUNDBOARD SYSTEM.

If the ribs are too stiff there will be little or no crown. The wood =
fibers will still compress as they take on moisture but they won't be =
able to develop enough force to create a crown in the system -- the =
wood's perpendicular-to-grain compression strength limit will be =
exceeded before crown is developed. Selecting the right rib =
cross-section was probably an empirical study in cause and effect.

Del