RC vs CC again

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:19:16 -0400

Ron,

I can't agree with your conclusions. Let's step back and examine this
from a different perspective. Compare machined crowned ribs with
laminated ribs for example. Laminated ribs are made from flat strips of
wood and glued in a form to create the crown. There is stress in the rib
because each strip is trying to return to its flat shape. The laminated
rib is in equilibrium while it is crowned. You would think that such a
rib would be easy to flatten out since each laminate is trying to return
to its original shape. But as many of us know this laminated rib will
have pretty much the same stiffness and have no more tendency to go flat
than a similarly crowned solid rib.

If you cut a rib from a Panel crowned soundboard (parallel to the
rib but half way between the adjacent ribs) you have a laminate made
from a rib and a strip of cross grain spruce. The two pieces of wood
form their crown just the same as the above laminated rib. Once formed
this structure is going to behave just the same as if the crown were
formed from a crowned rib.

I admit that it took force to form the crown in a panel crowned
Soundboard but once formed it will have just the same stiffness as a Rib
crowned soundboard. The method of crowning has no effect on its stiffness.

Furthermore, the idea that the small additional compression of the panel
due to bearing will stress the panel of a PC soundboard more than a RC
board is just not right. .002" compression (strain) of a cross grain
strip of spruce say 48" long will indicate the same stress whether it
started in a stressed state or not. Stress/strain remains proportional
if measured in inches per inch (percent) and if kept below the plastic
limit (the compression of the panel of a PC board is below this limit).

Richard brought up the idea that maybe a PC board would be stiffer
because the panel was compressed. I think it is a mistake to think that
the panel or any other wood structure would become stiffer by by simply
subjecting it to compression, tension or any other force (if this were
true it would turn physics on its head, things would get stronger as
they are stressed). It is easy to get this idea from hearing what's been
said (me included at one point) about how bearing works to stiffens the
soundboard.  The soundboard appears stiffer to a vibrating string (has
higher impedance) because the soundboard is working together with the
elastic force of the bearing as applied by the string plane. The
soundboard does not gain stiffness within its self, it simply joins
forces with bearing pressure.

The conclusions I draw from this are:

1)The method of crowning has no influence on the final stiffness of the
soundboard.

2)Soundboard panels do not become stressed to any great degree from
bearing if the bearing is within the usual tolerances.

3)Soundboards do not become stiffer because of the stresses from crowning.

John Hartman RPT

Ron Nossaman wrote:

  > In a CC board, panel compression is not only supporting all of the
  > bearing load, but bending the flat ribs into a crown as well. The ribs
  > in a CC board are supporting none of the bearing load. They are, in
  > fact, adding to the load on the panel. How much down load do you have to
  > apply to the top of a flat rib to get it to bend up in a crown? If you
  > try it, you will find that the answer is "none", you have to apply lift
  > from beneath to bend the rib up into a crown, just like you have to
  > apply lift from beneath to support string bearing. Ribs don't support
  > bearing at all in a CC board until the crown is concave.

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal