RC vs CC again

Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:33:23 +0200

John Hartman wrote:

> Richard brought up the idea that maybe a PC board would be stiffer
> because the panel was compressed. I think it is a mistake to think that
> the panel or any other wood structure would become stiffer by by simply
> subjecting it to compression, tension or any other force (if this were
> true it would turn physics on its head, things would get stronger as
> they are stressed).

John.. Interesting perspective which I have to think through a bit before
replying... but I just wanted to clarify this above once more...

The assumption that a CC board would be stiffer then an RC board applied to the
example  where both boards had the exact same dimensions for the panel and ribs,
same mass, and same crown.

Rethinking that I have to admit that this was based on the idea that the ribs
would be responsible for the same amount of stiffness, in the same way in both
panels...  which is clearly not the case....at least not the "in the same way"
part. So I'll have to back off on that., and think on the matter a bit more

Ric

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.