Pinblock Separation Questions

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:13:30 -0500

Rick,

It's a matter of degree.  You should lower the pitch / tension enough so
that the piano will not go above A440 when you pull the gap together.  How
much you drop pitch depends on how much the pinblock has spread.   Dropping
tension completely, so that coil tightness and string spacing have to be
re-established, is a waste of time.  Also, if you use epoxy to fill the
crack, it can fill the holes behind the pins, so that when you try to bring
the piano up to pitch the pins bottom out on the epoxy after about a
quarter turn.  DAMHIK.

Mike

I might