String Removal during Restring with Original Pins

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 06:04:20 -0400

Take all the strings off, then restring.

Will you be attending to the bridges?

I highly recommend that before you remove any strings, fully evaluate =
the shape of the soundboard (crown between all ribs), downbearing =
(front, rear, total, everywhere), and piano tone - soundboard =
performance (especially in the killer octave area - form your own =
opinion and be sure your opinion meshes well with the owner's opinion). =
Those steps will help avoid a situation where the owner thinks the piano =
is deficient in some way that actually relates to one or more of the =
above issues and thinks that new strings will fix a soundboard problem. =
I would also cover the issue that you can't guarantee that the =
soundboard will perform exactly the same way after restringing as it did =
before restringing.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20