String Removal during Restring with Original Pins

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:07:15 -0400

Bill,
Remove all the bass string, natch. But for the treble wire, do one size at
a time.
Pull each unison sharp as you go. This way, when your're done, you're done
(a Yogi-izm) Except for follow-up tuning.

Unless you are pulling the plate, what's the point of comparing crown
strung and unstrung. I assume it this
piano is in the customer's home.

Will you be using a dummy pin?  My dummy pin has been cut off 1/4" below
the becket with a saw kerf up into the hole.
This allows the coil to drop off the dummy without having to expand the
coil, that's done to get it on. I don't use the
drop-off method on bass wire, it's too stiff so it facilitates installing
the coil in the piano if the coil is expanded initally to
get it off the dummy pin.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.