Individual aliquots on a Mason Hamlin

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:55:59 -0400

David Love wrote:
> Tuned duplex and bearing change aside, does anyone see any problem with
> replacing those individual aliquot half rounds on the backside of the
> bridge on a Mason Hamlin with a single continuous bar?
>
> David Love
> davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

Shouldn't make any difference to the final result. You could have a
problem with the client if they perceived this as a short cut or in some
other negative light. To be on the safe side you better have a reason
for the change that shows that it is an improvement. I just finish
string a BB and hated the little buggers. They can really slow down the
string job. I suppose this is why you are contemplating this alteration.

I am going to keep them on the M&Hs I rebuild. I mark out were they were
with a sharp awl before tear down and get them back there when I string.
I don't bother with tuning them. I have some tricks to move them into
position but they still take too much time.

I charge a little bit more for M&Ms than S&Ss to make up for this and
other inconveniences. A lot of things are simpler on a Steinway I think
that's why they did so well in business in comparison to M&H.

--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin