Individual aliquots on a Mason "&" Hamlin

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:41:56 -0500

>I personally haven't found
>any significant or detectable difference with tuned and untuned duplexes.
>John H. and Ron N. seem to suggest there would be no functional change, I'm
>assuming that includes tonal differences.

I assume you're concerned with tonal detriment, rather than difference
here. Just stringing will make a tonal difference, naturally, but the
aliquot change won't be detrimental.

>So I'm interested in hearing
>opinions, especially from those who might have made that change.  The
>design of a continuous bar certainly exists on many high quality
>instruments, so I'm just wondering if I've thought it through well enough.
>
>David Love

I've gone from aliquots to a continuous bar on some pianos with no obvious
problems. Others, like a M&H A, I installed vertical hitches and eliminated
the bearing bar altogether. Again, with no problem. The Mason with the
vertical hitches seems to have a longer sustain in the treble because the
back scale in the high tenor rings longer, but I don't consider that to be
a tonal detriment. Some might, in which case braiding a few unisons further
up would have taken care of it.

Ron N