Hammers

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 00:43:23 -0400

At 9:32 PM -0700 10/5/03, David Love wrote:
>I just wonder if it isn't quantifiable.  You know, x number of pounds
>of pressure in this section, so much heat, etc., such that you could
>customize a single order.  Hammer makers like Abel offer a variety of
>styles of hammers.  Why can't they offer hammers of varying density
>as well, even if it's just soft, medium, and hard.

Partly it's relating the individual hammer maker's numbers to the
feel and sound of the hammers when you get them back. After you've
ben through the custom fitting process with one hammer set, you've
learned their numbers and can hit subsequent designs pretty quickly.

Partly it's a matter of knowing what one wants in a hammer, never
mind spec'ing it. Maybe someday we will be able to "dial-in" a set of
hammer specs on a maker's web page. Brave New world, that!

Oh golly fudge! It's after 12:30AM...again. Hasta Montuna.....

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request