Good at Machining WAS: Reading a Board geometry

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 07:38:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/03 12:54:05 AM, yardbird@vermontel.net writes:

> I'm assuming you've got some sort of milling machine, not necessarily
> a Bridgeport. I bet you could do a good job of making a component
> downbearing gauge, the one with the adjustable inclination bubble
> mount. Someone send this guy a .jpg of one (not necessarily
> identifying its maker).
>
> Bill Ballard RPT
> NH Chapter, P.T.G.

Living near Detroit I have acquired lots of machinery from old tool and die
shops. To do credible work you need both a mill and a lathe and a lot of
support tooling. Can be a time waster in that one of three experiments is good to
go. Re the downbearing gauge I bought one from one of the suppliers years ago
and returned it because of the low precision bubble vial. Your best bet would be
a simple jig with a place to temp. mount a machinist's level. A good one is
accurate to .005 per foot and a REALLY good one goes .0005 per foot. Question
is (and this goes back to the vector discussion in recent threads) what do you
want to measure, which two surfaces to you want to relate to each other ? Even
S&S once specified thickness of a NEW coin for down bearing gauging, or was
that just romantical hype ?