bridge pin placement

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:46:34 +0200

> >We all know that bridge pins should bisect the bridge top-bridge notch
> >edge. I am finding myself a bit tongue-tied in trying to explain the exact
> >problems (and aural symptoms) that occur when this ideal is not met. I'm
> >not talking about a pin being way, way out on the notch, rather just
> >barely touching the edge (or vice versa). Anyone have a nice clear
> >explanation that will help me be more eloquent when trying to explain this
> >to a customer who has asked me to evaluate a new upright for his purchase?
> >Thanks,
> >Patrick Draine
>
> Problem is, I'm not so sure there is a clear reason that this is
> undesirable. I know, we were all told it was because it established two
> different speaking lengths and caused beats. But does it? There are new
> pianos notched this way that have no hint of false beats.

Witness Ed.Seiler grands. Not uncommon in European pianos to see the bridge pin
terminate the string well front of the notching. No accompanying false beats..
but to my ear there is an unmistakable thinning and increased sustain of the
sound. Seilers bother me in the middle lower treble because of this. I find
them difficult to voice like I want... and always find some strange partial
ladders in this area. Tho I am not trying to confirm that this is related to
the bridge pin placement.. I find it vaguely reminicent of one of the claims
Wapin makes.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne