Damper Spring Tensions

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 00:21:15 +0100

No I haven't finished yet;

Today I had to work on an action  (upright piano) where a previous
technician had stiffened the damper springs so much that the sustain pedal
could hardly be depressed; if the set-up was left like this, something was
bound to break sooner or later. While working on the springs, I found it
tricky to gauge the tensions and get them all fairly even. I was judging the
tensions in each spring by feel only. Is there a specific method in
measuring spring stiffness or is it just another art?

Regards
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh