ETD

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:30:51 +0000

George Takats wrote:

>Hello friends and colleague,
>Has anyone had any experience with Precision Strobe Tuner? You can find it
>at: www.precisionstrobe.com.
>Any positive or negative observation will be appreciated.
>George

Hi, I read through all of the stuff on the website, and it seems like a good
tool..... for what it is.  I'm tempted to have the school buy one, just for
the band, orchestra and guitar applications.  I like how easy the display is
to read for someone across the room.

However, for our (piano) purpose, they've done some homework, but not quite
enough.  They base their calculation or creation of a good piano tuning on
the 2:1 octave across the whole scale (not the best plan for a good tuning).
  It seems really cumbersome by the directions to have the machine calculate
a tuning.(measuring each note for the fundamental, and then again for the
2nd partial)  I think you could do a good job using this to help set the
temperament, and then doing the rest by ear, or using the machine to keep
tabs on where the notes are getting set. (keeps you from getting into too
much trouble) For $400, it's competition seems to be the virtual strobe, by
Peterson, which doesn't have any stretch options.

If you are trying to save money, either check out Tunelab 97 (laptop), or if
you would like some more help in creating the tuning, step up to Tunlab pro
for either pocket PC, or a laptop.

If you are looking to get the best tuning with the least amount of user
input, the Verituner is the way to go.

my 2 cents

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get Hotmail
Extra Storage!   http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es