Grand regulation...

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:31:43 -0500

Hi, Michael,

Here are some sites that might work as a "Rosetta Stone" for US parts =
terms:

http://www.musicplay.com/action/action.html

http://www.rennerusa.com/Renner_Action/Action_Parts/action_parts.html

http://www.pianosupply.com/dl/

UK "set-off" =3D US "letoff"
UK "let-off" =3D US "drop"
UK "striking distance" =3D US "blow distance"

"The UK and the US are divided by a common language." -- Mark Twain.

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Gamble=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 3:20 PM
  Subject: Grand regulation...

  Hello all. This is an attempt to get some input from those who (that =
means all of you I guess) frequently regulate grand actions. From the =
start we have a few hurdles to get over and of these the principal one =
is that of terminology. In regulation you get a) the parts which are =
being regulated and b) the name given to that part of the regulation =
process. Are we at one with the name "striking distance"? which should =
be about 1 7/8" Then we have "Set-off" In this part we adjust the =
"Set-off Button" until it touches the toe of the "Jack" and causes the =
hammer to stop rising and go into the "escapement" mode.This Set-off =
happens about 1/16" below the string. Next we have the "Let-off" (I =
think that's sometime called "Drop") when the hammer after hitting the =
string is allowed to subside another 1/16". Not to be confused with =
"Check" when the hammer after hitting the string more forcibly rebounds =
into the loving grasp of its check-block. If then, whilst the hammer is =
captivated in check you gradually release the key the hammer should =
float upwards - not too fast. This we call "Hammer rise".. OK?
  The point of all this is I went to tune a new Petrof grand the other =
day and was amazed by how much this Czechoslovakian manufacturer had =
deviated from what I considered the "norm". The results were as follows:
  Striking height 1 7/8" (OK)
  Check 13/16" ?
  Set-off 1/8"!!!
  Let-off 3/8"!!!!
  And the hammer-rise test showed that all the hammers came up faster =
than you can say knife!
  Here's the question therefore -
  What are the correct settings?
  My Steinway service manual adheres pretty firmly to my first list of =
requirements except that the "Let-off" is considered with relationship =
to the diameter of the string affected.
  Oh yes - there's another aspect of regulation. It's vital that the =
"Key depth" be correct. Steinway recommend 9.75 on models S - B and =
9.75mm on C & D
  Reblitz, on the other hand, is a bit more "global" in his approach =
giving more latitude.=20
  At the end of the day does the piano react as a concert pianist would =
expect?
  Over to you.
  Michael G (UK)