Sauter Spinet

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:07:01 -0500

Hello list,

   Today, I looked at 43 year old Sauter Spinet piano. Most all the jacks
were sticking, causing most of the notes on the piano not to play. The piano
is in otherwise very good condition. The strings are not too rusty, all the
hammers are in real good shape, keytops are all there, etc., so the little
old lady wants it fixed and really doesn't care about how much it costs,
within certain limits, I imagaine. The problem? Well, every moving part in
this piano is made out of plastic and I'm scared to death to start digging
into it, trying to ream and repin, thinking this plastic is going to crumble
in my hands. I didn't try to repin even a single jack, because I didn't want
to take the chance of breaking something.
   Any of you have any experience with this type piano? My Pierce book lists
serial nos. up to 1996, the date if the book, so I wonder if the company is
still in business. Are new whippens available? It sure would make this lady
happy if I could do something for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If I should run, not walk, away, well, I would appreciate knowing that too.
Thanks.

Richard