RC vs CC again

Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:59:28 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> To better visualize what the rib is actually wanting to do all this time,
> cross-grain portion of your sandwich. What happens to the longitudinal
> piece, i.e., the rib? It does exactly what it has wanted to do all along --
> it returns to it's rest (or flat) configuration, doesn't it? Now, what on
> earth makes you think it wasn't wanting to do that all the time? Why would
> the wood fibers suddenly lose their memory just because they get pulled out
> of equilibrium by the expanding cross-grain panel and the resulting
> stress-interface? Wood technology doesn't change just because some of us
> don't want to acknowledge its rules. For the time your sandwich was being
> held in a crown by the stress-interface between the longitudinal rib and
> the cross-grain top piece do you suppose it somehow -- miraculously -- lost
> its desire to get itself straightened out? I can't conceive how. That bent
> rib is a spring, what are its lines of force?

Hmm... Like I say.. the only thing I dont understand is what happened to that
tensioning (pure stretching) force on the rib.? I mean.. the rib forces the
panel to compress, and the flip side of that coin is that the panel is at least
going to attempt to force the rib to lengthen. The degree it fails in doing so
results in the bending of the rib and the formation of crown.. yes ?? But what
about the degree it succeeds (if any) ? If the rib is at all tensioned in the
sense that it is lengthened in addition to the tensioning that occurs in the
top half from bending... then I dont see how the rib could not be supporting
crown, because if thats the case there is more going on then just the ribs
desire to straighten out.... It also has a desire to not tension any more,
which downbearing on the panel will tend to do.

> Ponder this stuff as you will, I'll get excited when I see how these
> hypothetical questions actually provide meaningful information that will
> help me design a better sounding soundboard system and a better sounding
> piano. Right now, however, I can't conceive how they will.

Grin.. well hell Del... you misunderstand me  here.... I am not trying to tell
you or anyone how soundboards function or not... I am simply asking questions
because there are things I dont understand. That I dont take it for granted
that any other particular person fully understands things either is only a
healthy insurance policy to keep me on a learning track. While I realize that
can be bothersom to some few, it is my experience that the great teachers of
the world have enough patience to cover this bothersomness to begin with, and
enough humility to remember that no matter how much they  know... one never
knows when something is been overlooked or missed. ... heck... thats the whole
spirit behind our prime directive here... "there's no such thing as a dumb
question"

You no doubt build fine pianos and anyone should be proud to be able to achieve
the same level of expertise. You mustnt ever think I believe anything else.
Tho I respect your professional contributions beyond what I am able to express
here, I do not do so blindly. That would be foolish of me.. yes ?

> Del

Cheers
RicB

--