Dyna2 finishstrip review

Jay Mercier custombuilt101@hotmail.com
Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:33:09 -0500

List, here is a review of my experience with using the Dyna2 stripper
formula purchased from Pianolac.com.

My overall goal with this trial was to gain a more efficient method of
stripping off old finish on the main cabinet of pianos while not using the
toxic methlyene chloride stripper products. I use a local refinishing
company to strip all the parts, all for only $100 (can't go wrong there).
But I personally still need to strip the main areas that can't be dunked,
and the last ornate cabinet of a Wing & Son Upright took only 8 hours to
strip! Ugh.

I decided to try this stuff on a current refinish/rebuild upright project.
The old original finish is lacquer on a walnut veneer, you know, the typical
old upright finish. I opened up the plastic gallon container and much to my
surprise there was barely a detectable odor. Just a gallon of green cake mix
with very little odor. I took my nylon paint brush and "painted" the cake
mix generously - be sure to cover everything well so you don't see much dark
wood underneath. The stripper didn't drip or glob or bunch together, just
went on smooth and the total application time took 10 minutes. That was in
the late afternoon. Leave it sit overnight. The next morning I opened the
shop door - still, barely an odor. The little odor there was didn't give a
bad smell, just a different odor.  I skeptically looked at the piano and
some of the green slime had turned clear and was partially dripping on the
plastic I had lay around the piano in case...  With a scotchbrite pad I
started wiping with long strokes and much to my amazement, everything - the
original finish and stripper wiped, not scrubbed, right off like a banana
peel. Very easy. And it stripped right down to the original stain. In fact,
most of it didn't even soak into the scotchbrite pad, it just fell off, so I
only went through about 3 pads. After one side of stripper/old finish had
been removed, the wood was still wet and remained wet for as long as I
wanted. It gave me time to wipe everything down with alcohol and paper
towels. Cleans everything up nice. Then I dry wipe with paper towels and
it's ready to sand. No big mess, no scrubbing, no odor and basically no
work, all in less than an hour to completely apply stripper (10 minutes
night before) and take off finish (about forty minutes) on the main piano
frame. The amount used was just under half a gallon.

Efficiency: A+
Odor: A
Cost: B (this would have been a "C" but since the efficiency was soooo good,
it's worth the money)
Overall experience with using this product including help on the phone with
Pianolac: A

Jay Mercier

Help protect your PC.  Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.