Restoring crown (was RC Vs CC again)

Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:43:45 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Forsyth" <alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 08, 2003 6:22 PM
Subject: Restoring crown (was RC Vs CC again)

> Hi Del, thanks for your post. When you say "We do not typically heat ribs
> sufficiently to either give them crown or to remove crown once it is
> established however." does this mean that, say in an old banger
situation,
> one could theoretically restore crown by heat setting the ribs instead of
> going through the uneconomic procedure of re-building a soundboard?

Sure. Of course you'd have to take the soundboard and ribs out of the piano
first. Then separate the ribs from the panel. All without damaging
anything. Then heat the ribs and bend them to your desired radius. And,
finally, reassemble the whole thing. A good days work.

> I once thought of steaming a soundboard in an old banger back into shape
> try and get some oomph back into it, but then realized that the glue
joints
> would probably fail. One day I will try it just for fun when I'm
> ...er...board!

If you're that board why not just repin a couple of sets of Teflon
bushings. Or adjust a Steinway sostenuto. Or something else. Anything else.

Del