OT:Re: Thanks to all-Now VERY OT-Baseball-delete and keep yourshorts on if not interested

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:57:24 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: OT:Re: Thanks to all-Now VERY OT-Baseball-delete and keep
yourshorts on if not interested

> Richard and list,
>          I'll once more bring up the idea that was presented by someone
> else a short while ago. If posts are clearly marked OT why not just set
> your filter to auto delete them?

There are still people on dialup, who have to download them first before
processing.  And, the OT items still remain in the archives, popping up when
you're searching for something.

> The item that I shared was a seemingly huge breakthrough in the
> computer industry that will one day soon affect us all!

There are many news items that may one day affect us all.  That's what
newspapers are for -- general interest items.  If every item of general
interest were posted to Pianotech -- no one would subscribe (and the NY
Times would go out of business)!

Personally, I don't mind an occasional OT item, especially if it's from
someone on the list that I know; it does help the camaraderie.  And it's
nice to get a virus warning from time to time (when it's real).  But as
others have pointed out, for some reason Duane chooses to discuss *only*
Microsoft and Linux on this list -- never pianos.  That's the puzzling part,
that makes his posts annoying to me personally.  Does he discuss vital new
piano technology breakthroughs on comp.sys.linux?  Why even subscribe here?

It's the reason anything is sorted: to keep dissimilar things apart, so you
can find 'em again.  Why not just dump all your center pins into one
container?  Or punchings?  Sure, all the .002 ones are yellow -- just filter
them out when needed!  Not me.  Maybe it's just my proximity to Wabasha,
where "Grumpy Old Men" was filmed...

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN