soundboard stresses

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 13:46:30 -0500

In the interest of getting past at least some of the mix of variously
rationalized opinions on the subject, I would request some help in the form
of input from the various folks on the list with engineering backgrounds,
regarding fundamental physical principals. Let's open-source this sucker
and produce some straightforward math from known data that rationally
answers some basic questions which are obviously still in doubt. I know
this will have no effect whatsoever on those who don't believe in science
and math, who insist that this doesn't prove anything, nor tell you how the
piano will sound, etc, but for some of us it may throw some light on the
basic structural forces involved - which is the reason I'm starting this.
I'd appreciate constructive ideas and critique as a reality cross check to
get as close as possible to the real stuff, should anyone interested in
trying to define the real stuff care to participate. I need math
corrections if I did something wrong too.

This is not an attempt at modeling all the details of what makes a
soundboard work, merely the most significant structural loading and stress
estimate. Any claims to the contrary will be dismissed as febrile ravings.

In the interest of using a measurement system most familiar to most of the
list participants, I'll start this in inches and feet for linear dimensions
and pounds for weight and compression.

E=modulus of elasticity. Considering Sitka spruce at 1,570,000
Lin=rib length in inches
H=rib height
W=rib width
Pt=panel thickness
Pw=width of panel between ribs (half way from the last, to half way to the
next)
Pc=panel compression psi
Rad=crown radius in feet
Cr=crown height
P=load in pounds
B=total string bearing load of all unisons supported by this rib (Pw range)
D=deflection

Bearing load per string is the sine of the angle times string tension
(close enough)

To find crown height for a given radius
Cr = (rad*12)-((rad*12)^2-(Lin/2)^2)^0.5

To find radius for a given crown height
Rad = (((Lin/2)^2+Cr^2)^0.5/(2*Cr))/12

Deflection under load
D = (Lin^3*P)/(4*E*W*H^3)

Load required for a target deflection
P = (4*E*W*H^3*D)/Lin^3

Panel compression psi necessary to produce given deflection - how much
unloaded crown
P is obtained with above equation
Pc = ((P*(Lin/2))/((H+Pt)/2))/(Pt*Pw)

Any corrections, comments, or additions so far?
Ron N