RC vs CC again

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:12:29 -0500

>I agree with Ron on this one except that the starting point is important.
>It determines the range of variations in humidity the soundboard can
>safely live in. If your soundboard is going to live in New Orleans it
>needs to be ribbed at a higher point than if it is going to live in Nevada.

But Steinway doesn't chose the dry-down MC based on where the pianos will
end up, do they? They take a panel that was at whatever they use for a dry
standard (4.5%?, 4%?) out into a room with the windows open and 80%+RH air
blowing through to set the bearing, regardless of where it will eventually
end up. Is that not the case? The soundboards have gone from 4.5%MC to over
14%MC before they even get out of the factory. Yes, the starting point is
important, but how can you build a flat ribbed CC board by drying it down
to only 6%MC when you can't have any idea how dry it will be at it's final
destination?

>O.K. I didn't say or mean to say "that the ribs of a compression crowned
>soundboard supported most of the crown". What I was saying is that once
>crowned and installed the panel of does not support the bearing load in
>any significant way.

But it does. It supports the entire bearing load, as well as bending the
rib. We're talking about different things, or at least the same thing at
different points in the assembly process. Granted, it's not double what it
takes to bend the rib into a crown in the first place because as you add
bearing, the rib straightens and provides less resistance to crown. So
you're right that the load increase doesn't all that significantly increase
the panel load, but only because the crown is pressed down. The panel
trades some of the diminishing rib load for the increasing bearing load.
Ok, I got it. This is during assembly and stringing, where the crown
initially formed by the panel compression bears little resemblance to the
crown it becomes under string bearing load. After final assembly, the panel
compression is the result of the sum of the force required to keep the rib
bent and support the bearing load - at a given final crown height. That's
what I'm talking about. The fact remains that the panel is still supporting
both the rib and the bearing as long as any crown and bearing remain.

Ron N