Steinway V dowel capstans

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:01:34 EDT

List
I will be rebuilding my first piano this year.   And I do mean year, because
that's how long it will probably take me.   So I will be on the list now and
then asking for advice.

The piano is a Steinway V, a vertical piano built in 1917.   It has a good
soundboard, and pinblock, but suffers from poor hammer repetition.   I plan to
replace the entire action, strings, and refinish the case.

Today I began.   I glued on 5 new ivories where there were none, and I
thought I'd lube the capstans while the keys were out.   The dowel capstans are wood
with a black coating on the top which looks like DAG.   It's not that I sense
alot of friction at the top of the dowel, but is there a preferred method of
lubing and thus reducing friction in this type of capstan?   (On brass
capstans I polish with BRASSO and then coat it with TFL50.)

Tom Sivak