Restoring Crown

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:01:50 +0100

Well Listed Ones,
Take a look at this, an extract from the PianoWorld website;

The difference is an old piano often sounds "thunky" in the low tenor
section above the break. I liken the tone to that of banging on radiator
pipes instead of strings. Baby grands are especially bad about this. I
listen to the resonance of each board before crowning, and again after
crowning, and there is a huge difference. I am talking about a piano case
and soundboard alone. All strings and plate are in another room. A well
crowned soundboard will ring like a tympani with not a string in sight. Also
you can listen to the tuning of the board alone by whacking it in various
places with the heel of your hand. Near the bass bridge the ring is lower
pitched and near the treble bridge the ringing is higher pitched. A crowned
board will ring a second or two. An uncrowned board will go thunk like
hitting your dining table with a fist.">>>>

My question is then, does the actual shape and CURVATURE (crown) of the
soundboard contribute to its acoustic properties. To me, the implication of
the above statements is that crown is not there to support downbearing. What
say ye all?

Regards
Alan Forsyth
Edinburgh