Steinway V dowel capstans

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:24:08 -0700

Tom,=20
    First of all, if the tops of the dowels are smooth, I probably =
wouldn't bother doing anything to them. The hammer butt heel is going to =
be new with new felt anyway. I suppose you could always try burnishing =
some teflon power into the felt, if you were worried about friction in =
this area. The coating on top of the dowels looks like some kind of DAG =
which is well burnished, and highly polished. I'm not sure how they get =
it like that, but it would probably be best to just leave it alone.

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tvak@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 10:01 AM
  Subject: Steinway V dowel capstans

  List
  I will be rebuilding my first piano this year.  And I do mean year, =
because that's how long it will probably take me.  So I will be on the =
list now and then asking for advice.  =20

  The piano is a Steinway V, a vertical piano built in 1917.  It has a =
good soundboard, and pinblock, but suffers from poor hammer repetition.  =
I plan to replace the entire action, strings, and refinish the case.

  Today I began.  I glued on 5 new ivories where there were none, and I =
thought I'd lube the capstans while the keys were out.  The dowel =
capstans are wood with a black coating on the top which looks like DAG.  =
It's not that I sense alot of friction at the top of the dowel, but is =
there a preferred method of lubing and thus reducing friction in this =
type of capstan?  (On brass capstans I polish with BRASSO and then coat =
it with TFL50.)

  Tom Sivak