Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:10:19 -0500

Hi Kevin,

The only problems I sometimes have after my initial pitch raise is that,
during the fine tuning, the extreme treble (depending on the piano) can be
knocked down 5-6 cents with hard blows.  To keep this from being a problem,
I simply bring the pitch back up while repeatedly hitting the key to
stabilize the note.  This seems to work quite well for me.  Maybe I should
also note that I use an impact hammer for both pitch raising and fine
tuning.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      "Kevin E. Ramsey"
                      <kevin.e.ramsey@c        To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      ox.net>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Pitch Raise, was: Standard Pitch
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      10/10/2003 09:13
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Kevin E.
                      Ramsey"; Please
                      respond to
                      Pianotech

Corte, let me ask you this; do you ever find yourself doing the second
pass, and you do a test blow that ends up being five or six cents flat?

The time for test blows is indeed after the pitch raise (and during it, but
definately after it also) . The speaking length may indeed be at pitch, but
if you don't have all segments of the string up to tension, it's going to
go south.

After doing a pitch raise, I don't really feel like yanking the strings up
all over again.

Just something for you to think about while you're out there tuning, that's
all.

Kevin.