Square Grand Dampers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:34:14 -0700

I put new damper felt on an 1880s Knabe square grand yesterday. No =
rebuild here, but rather "just make it play". I am struck by the poor =
damping on this piano. Then again, I look at those seven-foot-long bass =
strings and wonder how a tiny little damper could have been any better =
even when the piano was new. Is poor damping a common affliction of the =
square grand design?

Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_000_0031_01C39163.D4005FD0

Terry,
Obviously you didn't read my many postings on this subject. So, I'll
reiterate: They're not supposed to dampen like a modern Piano! It is
intentional! When most Square Grands were being made, the Modern Grand was
being made in the same factory! They did know how to make dampers work. The
intent of the Square Grand "Sound" is to sound like an "Ancient Instrument",
only louder. That's the short version.<G> When the Square Grand is in tune,
the "over-ring" will become less noticable and more melodic.
Oh, One thing: "NEVER" PUT UNICHORD OR BICHORD DAMPERS ON A SQUARE GRAND!
(PADS ONLY!) Doing so, will open up a whole new can of worms! This I know,
from undoing that sort of idiocy, perpetrated by others.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I