nursing home blues (slightly OT)

Dave Smith dsmith941@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:04:37 -0400

Tom, I read your post twice.  Once as an even newer piano tuner than =
you.  In this mind, it reminded me of when my friend and mentor, Phil =
Bondi, took me along to a nursing home in SW Florida to deliver a =
donation piano.  I tuned it before an audience of patients and nurses =
and attendants, and when I finished, they applauded.  I said thank you, =
and their spokesperson said, "your are finished, right?"

Secondly,  I read your post as one who lost a father to Alzheimer's =
disease in a nursing facility much as you described.  Again, your =
narrative rang a chord with me.   You reminded me that the  worst =
experiences make us appreciate the rest of the experiences more.

Don't quit your day job, but you might consider keeping a log and =
writing your notes into a book someday.  You do have a way with words.!

Dave Smith
SW FL

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tvak@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 10:03 PM
  Subject: nursing home blues (slightly OT)

  Today I tuned a Wurly spinet in a nursing home.  I have never =
experienced such negativity anywhere in my brief (6 years) career as a =
tuner.  There were about 10 patients of the nursing home in the activity =
room where the piano was and as soon as I walked in and introduced =
myself to the attendant, a chorus arose.

  "He's not going to PLAY the piano, is he?" to which the attendant =
would reply, "No, he's going to tune it."  Five minutes later, "What's =
he doing at the piano?  Is he playing it?"  "No, he's tuning it."  And =
as if there was a tape loop set up in the room, five minutes later, =
someone else would ask, "What's he doing at the piano?  Is he playing =
it?"  "Does he have to play the piano?"  "Why can't he stop?"

  I tuned as quietly and quickly as I could.

  Then they started a game of BINGO.  I'd respectfully pause as each =
number was called, and then resume striking keys and tuning, but after =
every number, someone would yell out "I can't hear because of that =
piano!"  One lady threw her BINGO board on the floor and refused to play =
because I made it too difficult to hear.

  These people in the twilight of their lives had returned to a state of =
childhood, where their only concern was themselves. =20

  I always try to do the best job I can under any circumstances, whether =
it be noisy kids, barking dogs, no light, whatever...it doesn't faze me. =
 Never before have I felt like I just wanted to get out of there as =
quickly as I could.  I didn't adjust the pitch, it was about 10 cents =
sharp.  I tuned it where it was; as quietly, and quickly as possible, =
and headed for the door.  It probably wasn't a very stable tuning: I =
didn't feel like I could really strike those hard blows without =
garnering more animosity.  They made me feel in no uncertaint terms that =
I was intruding.

  I know these people have problems much more severe than my own.  This =
is not a happy time in their lives.  This post is not meant as an =
indictment of their behavior.   Rather it is about my reaction to it.

  This experience made me realize that I have gotten used to people =
being happy to see me.  I come on time, I provide a service that =
improves their lives in a small way, I'm polite, and everyone comes out =
ahead.  Day after day. =20

  I enjoy the general pleasantry of my daily existence.  Without this =
nursing home appointment I don't think I would have been cognizant of =
that, having become accustomed to it. =20

  I went to my next appointment and met the most delightful old retired =
fellow with a beautiful 1915 Steinway Louis XIV grand.  I think it was =
rosewood. =20

  Tom Sivak=20