soundboard stresses

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:19:13 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/2003 10:02:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

In a message dated 10/13/2003 6:32:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:
     Ron
     I don't know & ...I don't know but I thought I just read on this list
recently that John Patton Of S&S is now stating that their boards are now being
pressed at 5.5% EMC. To me this would yield a fairly amount of crown in the
rehydrated panel. To achieve this level for sure takes a well set up box &
regular monitoring.
  I meant to say "yield a fairly small amount of  crown."  Duh!--Dale

But pressed into curved cauls. The effect on the soundboard panel is the same
as if it were pressed at a somewhat lower MC.

Del
   I'm assumning you're speaking of simply stretching the panel since spruce
does seem to have quite an ability to flex across grain. Even so it seems that
it would have to be a fairly steep caul to make much difference. Just holding
small left over pieces of board in hand and bending them into tight radii to
see how much they'll bend before breaking is one of my personal favorite
recreational shop sports. We all take turns and keep score & the loser gets to buy
lunch.
     Any one have an idea as to the config. of curved cauls at S&S? Is there
anyway to ask
  It doesn't matter . just curious---Dale