soundboard stresses

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:04:51 -0400

Richard Brekne wrote:

> I am under the impresseion that the 0.8 % compression rate is really
> just what is the compression level at the interface with the rib, and
> that as you move towards the top side of the panel this is significantly
> less... tho I dont see yet how to figure this damage. This would seem to
> lower the overall damage threshold further.... tho I am not sure yet as
> to how much.

Yes I think you'r right but it couldn't be very much.

> Still trying to figure where Ron got 580 psi as perpendicular to grain
> FSPL for Sitka when it says 710 psi in the table on page 79 of Hoadly's
> book. Thats about a 20 percent increase strengthwise.

I looked and you'r right. The 580 comes from "Wood as an Engineering
Material". Hoadly's is more resent, in the revised addition, so maybe it
reflects the new standard. Some of the other figures have been changed
as well. Check his book for an explanation, I recall there was something
about this in his book.
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin