soundboard stresses

Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:48:12 +0200

Hmmm...

Just trying to get a handle on just what stresses are being applied in what
directions. Seems a bit more complicated then at first it may seem... but let me try
and reword.

Lay the panel flat after it was dried out and then blocked the tangential ends
(perpedicular to grain). When it takes on humidity it is compressesed radially ..
against the tangential face (edge). Yes ??

But we dont actually block the tangential edges... we glue ribs onto one of the
radial faces (the underside of the panel) and thus  restrict this same (radial)
expansion... so we get a somewhat predictable crown instead of random buckling (I
suppose).

So far so good ??

So... the panel starts to crown then... and in addition to simple radial compression
of the panel, there is some form of  bending stress introduced. Then putting
downbearing into the picture... you are pushing straight down on the upper radial
face of the panel...doesnt that introduce some loading along grain the of the panel
? I dont mean the transverse direction as the panel isnt bent this way...(or not
much anyways). I mean... you are pushing downwards at some spot close to the middle
of this big panel... on its radial face.... I guess what I am wondering is .. isnt
there some shear stress along the grain of the panel introduced by pressing directly
down on panel ?

Perhaps a bit off the wall...:)... but I just want to make sure of things as I go
along.

Cheers
RicB