nursing home blues (slightly OT)

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:36:43 -0700

Years ago I was asked to tune a piano in a nursing home for the extreme =
debilitated.  Most of the residence were marginal vegetables, those who =
had limited awareness were mostly unable to walk by themselves.  As I =
set things up one of the staff came up with the idea that what I was =
doing could somehow qualify as "entertainment".  One at a time the room, =
(a large common room if memory serves),  filled up with residence in =
wheel chairs.  They were pushing them in like an assembly line!  By the =
time I was actually turning tuning pins there were about 20 of them.

At first it went okay, no notable problems.  I felt awkward having so =
many eyes on me but I began to realize that most of these people were in =
such a bad state they hardly knew where they were.  Unfortunately the =
idea of "entertainment" that the staff person visualized never =
materialized.  Instead as I repetitively pounded one note after another =
they slowly began moaning in protest.  After a while one barely =
conscious lady cried out "stop that damn noise!"  There of course was =
nothing I could do about it and I went about my business with a chorus =
of moaning and complaints in the background.  I was very happy to leave =
that place, very depressing!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV