Petzl Zipka; was nursing home blues

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:38:25 -0500

Ah well. To each his own. I do tend to be afflicted with an obsession
with flashlights. One of the things that has changed In the time I have
been servicing pianos is the quality of the available battery-powered
light sources. I have owned dozens over the years; most were worthless.
Flashlights are better than they used to be; this is a good thing.

The best light for tuning is indirect daylight coming in through large
windows. Artificial room lighting is never designed to shine into a
piano, and for some reason, the lights that customers offer to provide
always seem to end up shining directly into my eyes. Ugh. For tuning,
the Petzl Zipka lights the strings behind the high-treble hammers of
verticals enough to work rubber mutes into the right places. It lights
wherever I point my head. Cool. OK, I look ridiculous with the thing
on, and it leaves marks in my forehead after I take it off. Hey, life
is about tradeoffs.  :)

Headlamps do seem to assume that you want to look downward, so the
Zipka works poorly for lighting back action/damper work where you need
to look straight into the action box of a grand.

But I have a different LED light for that.  :)

The Photon Fusion is pricey, but is just the thing for lighting a grand
action box:

http://www.glowbug.com/product.php?sku=117#

or

http://tinyurl.com/r7yu