Private post/Steinway Tone Bell

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:40:27 +0100

Hello John Hartman
You've got a really good thread going here - I hope you don't mind me
joining in a bit? My model "A" has, what the London Steinway people call a
"Tone Bell". Is this what you are calling the "Pulsator"? It can be seen to
be there by simply looking at the frame on the treble side. There you will
see, or will not see the square head of what apperas to be a large "carriage
bolt". Looking underneath the piano there is this inverted conical casting.
I note in my rounds that it is only the Steinways with the "Sostenuto" pedal
which has this feature - be it an 85 note or an 88 note keyboard.
As to creating a new piano from scratch I leave that sort of think to that
Italian chap Fazioli (I think that's his name) Anyone had experience of
these "wunder-pianos"?
Regards
Michael G (UK)