Private post/Steinway Tone Bell

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:13:09 EDT

  The bell is just a plate stiffening device. A short beam from the belly
rail to the case in the same area would allow for another nose bolt that could
take the place of the bell. I cant say the bell has any effect in and of itself
to influence tone but does stiffen the plate web where it attaches thereby
influencing tone. There must be a modest down force of the bell bolt to do so
which by the way will increase the downbearing a small amount (tone effect) These
bolts also seem to come loose from time to time and cause a weird rattle.

 Does that help?--Dale

     This reference to the "bell" brings to mind a question I have long had.
S&S piano plates are sometimes billed as cupola plates. Does this refer to the
shape of the stress holes in the plate, or to Steinway's use of a shop cupola
furnace to produce sufficient amounts of molten iron for the larger plate ?

   Glenn
   I don't know. Anybody else? I thought  that term was used in reference to
the bass bridges on S&S  uprights or have I got it ALL wrong?
    Dale