Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:50:23 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/03 12:10:39 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

>=20
> Glenn ,Yes I have & you are correct. First it's possible to take=20
> measurements around the bolt holes with a wire caliper.=A02nd small holes=20=
drilled behind=20
> the bridge or around the edges & later filled with a toothpick is kosher,=20=
but=20
> why would you wish to do this?
>=20
>  =A0=A0 I've done this only once & that was to diaphramize a very thick bo=
ard in=20
> a Yamaha C-7. I also refinished the board afterwards so no big deal. The=20
> board was .400 thick in the middle and tonally a bit stingy. Thinning it h=
elped=20
> to reveal a more lively tone i.e. better sustain.
>=20
>  =A0 Regards-Dale
>=20
>=20

You've got me with "why would you want to", I admit to this recurring=20
obsession to collect data, and that includes soundboards. It is, you're righ=
t,=20
academic only unless you're working on a board in place, but that brings one=
 other=20
question to mind. If you have a full board ready to install, and you decide=20=
to=20
thin it, how DO you measure your planing progress ?
regards,
Glenn C.