Henry F Miller grand info needed

R Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 00:01:33 -0500

    I recently tuned a Henry F Miller grand and tried to find the serial
number.  Underneath toward the  back of the bottom  of the key bed on the
treble side of the lyre is stamped 51120 a bit unevenely.  Is the serial
number?  If so Pierce indicates 1925.   I did not get to look behind the key
slip or front of the front rail.  Nor was it stamped on the sb to the left
hand side of the bass plate strut.

    This could be a decent little piano, (between 5'4" and 5'6" I guess) if
rebuilt.  Does any one have experience rebuilding a HFM of this vintgage.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what one has sold for recently in original
condition, well played.  No sb cracks, that is right, NONE) could go two to
three years with a hammer filing or replace hammers now. Keys celluoid or
plastic.  Case antiqued, action feels ok, key bushings as expected, don't
know about action centers, knuckles, b checks.  If she told me she wanted to
sell the piano by next Wed. I would have pulled the action.

    Here in south central South Dakota is not exactly the mecca of the used
baby grand market.  I suppose a wholesale price is whatever she accepts.  If
it had ivory keys and a walnut case its gotta be worth 1,000.  As is, it
plays OK, TPins might need Garfields, (someone sprayed something oily on the
agraffes, I don't think it migrated to the pins..yet) and the keyboard looks
OK but the awful antiquing, (which ups the refinishing price)  I would think
$500 to 800 might be fair to a private party.  She has a notion of up to
$2500, but not if she must sell in a hurry.   I might offer $200 but I don't
have a show room to sell a $6000 baby grand which is what I would want if I
got it to the condition I think I can.  But would it be worth that if the
rebuild was successful, and refinished of course?  I have no idea on retail
prices.
The name I think supports it and its technical condition makes it a
candidate.

    Are there really new Chinese pianos ending up in the living room for
less than $5K and not junk?

    Thanks much

    Richard Moody