Steinway key humping

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:33:16 -0500

>I still hold to my concept that if you clamp the action (key frame to a flat
>table) and LEVEL the keys, when you reinstall the action the hump will
>automatically the same as the key bed.

In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. Is the key bed crown the same in the
back and middle as in the front?

>You may drive yourself to utter frustration or terminal if you like.

Making this like any number of other questionable features in all sorts of
pianos in this respect.

>I was even told by another S&S rep that the key bed was stronger
>because of the (crown).  Can any of you math gurus tell me how much extra
>strength 1/16 crown over 4 feet of a 1 1/2  thick key bed will produce?

No, but then, I'm no math guru. Nor can they, I suspect. At least I've
never seen the figures. But, everyone instinctively knows arches are
stronger, don't they? And I expect you've had plenty of problems with weak
un-crowned key beds.

>Just look at all the consternation this one item has caused.  How many
>e-mails have been written.

Nearly as many as pertaining to how to get tape residue off of keytops, or
quieting noisy front duplexes. Be brave. It will be around on the list
again real soon, and many more times.

Ron N