Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:44:33 EDT

         Glenn
  You're asking the hard technical questions. My engineer friend say that
when his friends get picky with details the comment is "hey your not building a
piano ya know" I take that as a compliment. In this case we are but fortunately
board thinning isn't a mystery. It however helps to have an organized
approach to thinning. If you ask 5 belly guys how they do it you'll get five
different answers.
   The amount of thinning depends on what your goals is & what you think is
benifiacial to freeing up the edges of a board. The thinning in most regimines
includes thinning along the spine(straight side), on around the tail around
the curve and stopping short of the top treble area which needs no or little
thinning.
Some also thin along the belly rail up to the offset of the board ,which is
sometimes desireable depending on the overal thickness of the board to start.
  Thinning is mostly restricted

Glenn ,Yes I have & you are correct. First it's possible to take measurements
around the bolt holes with a wire caliper. 2nd small holes drilled behind the
bridge or around the edges & later filled with a toothpick is kosher, but why
would you wish to do this?

   I've done this only once & that was to diaphramize a very thick board in a
Yamaha C-7. I also refinished the board afterwards so no big deal. The board
was .400 thick in the middle and tonally a bit stingy. Thinning it helped to
reveal a more lively tone i.e. better sustain.

  Regards-Dale

You've got me with "why would you want to", I admit to this recurring
obsession to collect data, and that includes soundboards. It is, you're right,
academic only unless you're working on a board in place, but that brings one other
question to mind. If you have a full board ready to install, and you decide to
thin it, how DO you measure your planing progress ?
regards,
Glenn