Leveling Sticks WAS: Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:24:27 +0200

CY,

Train yourself to insert open paper punchings. The key level was done once,
and unless the actyion is really tired you can level a lot without having to
disassemble the action.

Anyway, after having made a leveling with the weights, when you put
everything back in the piano, yoy always have to insert supplement punching
(or compress some others) to have your "perfect" level.
The final test is that you shoud see in the keyboard lines reflected like in
a mirror (no scales)

For that reason it is important to straighten the front of the ley to
compensate for bushing wear, or decompensate ith the bushing have been
renewed.

I don't believe in leveling on the bench, only rough leveling can be done
there. The precise job can only be done with the action in place and in the
piano.

By precise job I mean, the height of the keys is consistent, and the
pressure on the bolts is even, andfront and back of the key frame are
bedded.

I precut batches of paper punching (Yamaha ones) with my center pin cutter,
and check the level with my rule (eben a short rule is OF for flat keybeds.
Then I eyeball what punchings I will need and I install them under the front
punching felt.
Then I take the action at 45° and install those.
The black keys are easier to insert from below.

While holding the action at 45 ° there is enough weight on the keys to check
for holes.

You can also check with a light finger the surface of the keys, it is easy
to feel the holes and their size while sliding a finger along the keys.
Take care not to scratch the strecher with the drop screw, mars are not very
decoratives.

I just dressed an almost complete Yamaha C3 keyboard this afternoon , not
done since 18 years.
Took me 1hour 1/2 whites and sharps. ( but I was not necessary to ad very
thick punchings , only a few 0.15 mm and a few 0.008 mm ones)

BTW the correct size for the paper punching is around half of the thickness
of the "hole" with some experience you choose the right amount immediately.

I've not seen how the use a "heavy  rule" at the Steinway factory, but I
understand it is an appliable method, as you always have to finish with the
stack screwed. I have on some occasion pre-dressed a keyboard with my
fingers pressure at the back of the keys, not perfect but it worked.

As often, in piano regulation, it is useless to try to attain perfection at
the first pass, unless you fairly know what you are doing exactly.

Working the most in front of the instrument gives you whit time a better
understanding on how things evolve , and an immediate control on what you
are changing.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG