New thread:SpuriousNoisesInYamahaGrandC6

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:50:28 +0100

Hello List
During tonight's Pit piano tuning session this Yamaha C6 gave off some =
peculiar ringing sounds while tuning at the bass end of the top break. =
This piano always has done this but tonight I got fed up with it. The =
stringing of these pianos is to Yamaha's "duplex" pattern. I think it is =
Yamaha's answer to Steinway's "aliquot" movable bridge - next to the =
hitch-pins. I found that by dampening the mid-break aliquot (duplex) =
where the listing cloth (stringing braid) ends got rid of this spurious =
noise. In Steinway I believe it's possible to move these multi-unit =
bridges on the plate so the aliquot resembles a harmonic.(vide Reblitz =
p.57. photo Illus. 4-25) In the Yamaha the same seems to apply but it is =
so wildly off pitch I doubt it.=20
Regards
Michael G (UK)