"The Invisible Tool"/beat rates - and where they come from

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 07:00:51 +0200

Michiel,

I see what you mean ,I have computed all beat rates for 3 octaves and all
intervals once, and I remeber using a little metronome to learn to count
beats (just insist, and you'll know how to tune someday :>)!

As understand it you tune by fast intervals mostly. Indeed one can train to
get a good interval color for the fast beatings, and get a feel for it .One
can even consider the fast beating as if they where octaves or fiths, and
tune unissons while correcting their speed. I've done it but have find it to
be too tiring for the ears. (But I remember a Balwin spinet, the only one I
tuned I guess, and it was easier to tune without any muting, mutes gave a so
unfocused tone that it was an horror to try to hear beats, while they appear
more clearly in the full garbage ;>)

But as the 10th and 17th beat rate progression slow on most pianos in the
treble, if we follow the inharmonicity of the instrument.
If we follow beat rate progression , the treble scream a bit , (is an
advantage for some situation).

I use the 17 th's in the treble but mostly if I am lost with a high treble
note, to check my double octave.

And I use to check the progression of course, but is enough to tune by
octave (the worst interval for tuning !) to me .

Nowadays any focused tuning is musical, for instance a fourth based, even a
fiths based tuning,

Just that some tunings are more in the iH of the piano and others more in
the mood of the tuner.!

I mean that even a pure ffith tuning does not sound false to the player,
while the octaves beat as hell, but when chords are leaved sustaining, the
more the tuning respect the piano Iharmonicity, the more sustain you get,
and in Western harmony you have more immediate tone in harmony because of
the reinforcement of the partials.

Indeed Il like the lively coloration of a little untempered tuning when
large chords are sustained (leaved sounding), you have more move and partial
rubbing, that gives a "singing" quality, but the tone extinct sooner I have
seen (why ?). The tunings computed by the VT, when you hold the sustain
pedal with a large chord, the tone does not seem to want to end.
Then my I deduction is that there is a more lively tone in this situation,
while I understand it is difficult to ascertain for sure  !

BTW, my favourite first octave test (temperament) is to have the 3 major
thirds (FA - A C# - C#F) sounding together, no third may be heard more than
others, thats a neat test !

My best to you all !

Isaac OLEG

Best