Fw: "The Invisible Tool"/beat rates - and where they come from

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:36:16 +0100

Hello Isaac
Thanks for your reply, the most interesting part of which was in the =
final para: "BTW, my favourite first octave test (temperament) is to =
have the 3 major thirds (FA - AC# - C#F) sounding together.." Actually =
Isaac, this is the very basis of my so called "Quadrant System" both in =
tuning and its utilisation in raising the pitch of a piano. And it =
sounds nice too!  I have never (in memory) used a 17th. interval at the =
top end of the piano, only 15ths.  I can stretch to play and tune while =
holding down 10ths. Very useful - but that's in the Bass where the beats =
are more prominent for that interval. Nothing much can be done with the =
very bottom 8ve. the notes seem reluctant to produce beats with any =
interval.I only use the TLA for the middle twelve notes (checking as =
soon as possible with M3) Having laid the bearings I then play the =
bearings chromatically in M3 and listen to the smoothe change in =
beat-rate. I go throught the whole tuning process going down in M3, =
4ths, 5ths, 8ves and 10ths. And up to the top using 4ths, 5ths, 8ves and =
15ths. I start using the 15ths right at the outset. It's a pretty rapid =
system.  I find that this works wonderfully in Harpsichords - it very =
quickly discloses the maverick tunings!
I agree with the lively colouration of a modified equal temperament...!! =
Dare I call it that? That the tone dies away sooner is, I think, due to =
lack of sympathetic harmonics. String players love to hear the pure 4ths =
and 5ths .... and so we go full circle and realise we are, at best, =
making a compromise in any setting of the scale! I am sure M.Pythagoras =
went through all this mental anguish when he discovered (in sand) his =
wretched interval. The bane of our lives and reason for our existance!
Regards
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----=20