Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:04:33 +0200

Delwin.

Dont know what to say to this, except that its the first time I've heard
this explaintion. Everywhere else I look, and the times I've sat in on
demonstrations are as I have previously described.

For example...taken from  URL
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/chladni.html

	"How are Chladni patterns formed?
	There are at least three different methods.

	The plate can be made to resonate by a powerful sound wave which is
tuned to the frequency of the 	desired mode.

	The plate can be bowed with a violin bow. This is easiest if one choses
a point that is a node for most 	of the modes that one doesn't want, but
not for the desired node.

	The plate can be excited mechanically or electromechanically at the
frequency of the desired mode."

Or from Conklin at

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/conklin/howdoes.html

(note the pictures of the fundemental mode, and others and the apparent
effect of the presence of a cutoff bar)

Soundboards vibrate more readily at their modal or resonance frequencies
than at other frequencies. The photos in Figs. 17 - 20 show how a piano
soundboard vibrates at some of its modes (resonances).

The lowest frequency at which a soundboard can vibrate strongly is
called the first mode. In Fig. 17 we see an experiment in which a
concert grand piano soundboard has been vibrated at its first mode. The
vibration generator, the circular object that can be seen to the left in
the photos, has been connected mechanically to the soundboard at a point
near its edge. For such a test the procedure is the following: Before
being vibrated the soundboard is covered uniformly all over its surface
with a mixture of fine particles (in this case sand and "glitter"). Then
the vibration generator is turned on and tuned slowly until its
frequency coincides approximately with that of a soundboard mode, as
will be indicated by a noticeable increase in sound level from the
soundboard. Then the generator level is increased until the acceleration
of the particles exceeds "1 g" (the acceleration of gravity, 9.8 m/s2)
and the particles begin to dance on the soundboard. As they dance, the
particles gradually collect in those areas that are not moving at all or
are moving with minimum velocity. This produces a pattern called a
Chladni figure, so named after the famous German physicist.

The first mode of this soundboard occurred at 49 Hz. In this mode, it is
the center of the soundboard that moves most violently; the edges, where
you see most of the particles, nearly stand still. A piano soundboard
rapidly loses its effectiveness as a sound radiator at frequencies below
that of the first mode, so notes below the first modal frequency usually
do not have very much energy in the first partial.

In Figs. 18, 19, and 20, you can see how the soundboard moves at some of
its other modes. Remember that the particles collect where the
soundboard is moving least.

This is how Chladni patterns are produced useing sand.

Modal analysis as you describe below is covered by Wogram

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/wogram/modal.html

... and is a way of modeling the vibrational modes. But this has nothing
at all to do with spreading sand around and watching the dance.