Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:21:49 +0200

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> > But I still see nothing in this that goes to show that these edge
> > patterns have anything to do Chladni patterns. If they are shown to be
> > part of a resonant mode, then they are. If they are not part of any
> > resonant mode, then they have nothing to do with Chladni patterns.
>
> Then what magical force is drawing the sand to the edges? It's a Chladni
> pattern, Richard. Whether you want to accept it or not.

Delwin, We are not going to get into magic or the get your fingers dirty
bit.

If its a Chladni pattern, then it represents a resonant mode of the
soundboard. If it does not form as a result of subjecting the soundboard
to any resonant frequency then it is not Chladni. Whether you want to
accept that or not. Chladnis are per definition representations of
resonant modes and they are nothing else. In essence, you are saying
that sand simply can not gather thus unless one of these modes is being
excited. All I have said in return is that

1: I dont find that confirmed anywhere in either my own experiences.
2: I dont find that confirmed in the texts available
3: I (and others) pointed out that Steingręber himself says this has
nothing to do with resonant modes.

I understand the rest of your post to basically come out as a
declaration that Steingrębers edge patterns conform to the fundamental
resonant mode. This is easy enough in practice to confirm or not.

Its no biggie.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.