Rusty Stretchy Strings

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:13:52 -0400

Well, I was trying to not write a whole page of text. What I was trying =
to indicate was that I used a very small (four-or-five-cent) overpull to =
try and raise pitch a quarter step in less than five passes. What I =
actually did was pull each string about four or five cents sharp of A440 =
- even at that rate, on a normal piano, it would have required at least =
two passes to end up at A440.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robert Goodale=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 12:22 AM
  Subject: Re: Rusty Stretchy Strings

  Why were you trying to tune it to A-441?  That certainly would not =
have helped the situation.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV

    Pitch was 25 to 50 cents flat and three strings were broke. Raised =
pitch to A441. Popped a half-dozen strings. After replacing strings the =
piano was up to 20 cents flat in some areas. Raised pitch again to A441. =
Popped a couple more strings. After replacing those, several areas of =
scale were five to ten cents flat. Started bringing those areas up, =
popped a couple more strings and then had to tell the owner that no way =
was this piano going up to standard pitch by me (sure glad the two bass =
strings that shot across the room missed that glass-fronted china =
cabinet).