verituner spinner

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:13:29 +0000

Howdy again-

Yes, what you say certainly makes sense..... I suppose Dave Carpenter would
be the one to ask.  It may very well have something to do with the "map is
not the territory" syndrome.  Paul Revenko-Jones used this example in a
class to describe that no matter how good the map is, it still isn't a
perfect representation of the landscape.  I'm assuming that likewise, now
matter how well it SEEMS that we can predict a string's vibration, (or
soundboard, or bridge, etc) there may well be some surprises in a real
piano.  Also, I think the multi-partial approach hopes to get the strongest
signal into the machine, by not inadvertantly focusing on a weak partial.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

<snip>
The algorithm controlling the spinner needs only keep track of one partial
as usual, the pitch of which is determined by the tuning curve calculation
(et al). You wouldn't need to continually read and mix all the partials of
the string in real time to control the spinner if their relationships to
one another are stable through moderate pitch changes. Track one, and the
rest follow.

Ron N

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon