Gray market Yamahas

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:03:18 -0700

ALL U1's, U3's & U5's are made IN Hamamatsu Japan. Those that are destined
for sale in  the US, are "seasoned" for the North American Market. "gray
market" yamahas (of which there are THOUSANDS of them around at any given
time, are sold in MOST cases, without divulging this important fact!)  are
NOT seasoned for this market, and Yamaha does NOT recommmend them, and they
will NOT sell parts for them either. You can run your serial # at their
official website to confirm ANY yamaha was or was not made for the N.
American market.

http://www.yamaha.com/pianoserials/index.asp

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Piannerman@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Gray market Yamahas
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:33:32 EDT

Salutations to all,
      In an Asian person's home the other day and tuned a U1.  Nice piano
but
for some reason the tone quality just didn't seem as nice as what I am
accustomed to.  The serial number was higher than the latest one (1996)
listed in the
Pierce Atlas and the couple had purchased it from another individual within
the last year or so.  So I was idly wondering if the piano could be a "gray
market" when I noticed it  - "Made in Japan" stenciled on the plate.  Aha!!
Definitely a "gray market piano".

     I didn't say anything to the customer but came home to my own U1,
purchased about 6 years ago from a Yamaha dealer, smugly confident that my
piano was
a bonafide, Made in America Yamaha.  Lifted up the lid and there it was - "
Made in Japan", right on the plate.  I could have croaked.  Does this mean
that I
have a "gray market piano?"  Surely there must be a way to tell by looking.
Do all Yamahas say "Made in Japan", even the ones that are made over here?

      Please advise as I have an inquiring mind and would really appreciate
some insight on this burning question.  (Sorry if this has been covered in
depth
previously.)
Charles Cron
Rockfield, KY

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.