Baldwin pre-cut string

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:31:20 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Crashvalve@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 22, 2003 5:13 AM
  Subject: Baldwin pre-cut string

  When I visited Conway in 73' they had precut and straightened wire to =
string the verticals. I know a straighter wire gives truer harmonics, =
Question is; does zig-zag roller straightening of piano wire have any =
downside like false beats etc ? If rollers are good, did Baldwin use =
then in two or four planes ?
  regards
  Glenn C.=20

Unless there is a kink in the wire, any wire stretched to 150+ lbs of =
tension is going to be pretty straight. With this in mind I'm not sure =
what you mean when you say "a straighter wire gives truer harmonics."=20

Baldwin uses straightened and pre-cut wire simply as a manufacturing =
expediency. These wires are purchased from Mapes to specification with =
each coming bundled in a package of, perhaps, a hundred or so identical =
wires labeled for a specific spot on a specific piano. These are then =
placed in one of several tubes set up so the stringer can pull whichever =
specific wire is needed in sequence as stringing progresses.

The grand pianos are strung from standard 5-lb coils in rack held above =
the piano.

Del